Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Scholar

The Scholar is Book Two of The Fall series by May Nichole Abbey.

This book wasn't my cup of tea. (That's my polite way of saying, I didn't like it.) SORRY! I really don't like giving unhappy reviews because I know how much effort it takes to write a book!

I was ready to put it down after the first three chapters.

First off, the fonts kept switching randomly - mid word, mid sentence. It drove me crazy. Plus one of the fonts was really small and light and made it hard to read. I wouldn't have minded if one font was used for the main character and everything else was in the other, but it wasn't and the switching didn't make any sense. It could be that I just got a bad e-copy.

Second, the main character spends the first few chapters semi-unconscious and disoriented, which became tedious for me.

I persevered and read to the end.

The storyline was okay, but not in one sense very imaginative. And I kept wanting to smack the heroine upside the head for her choices. Her overall motivation didn't seem strong enough. The dialogue went well until the end when some of the Egyptians slipped into modern day vernacular which didn't seem to fit. And it never explains how she time traveled or expected to get back to her own time!

Things I did like: the setting. I thought being in ancient Egypt and getting a sense of that world was well done as was the research into using words of the language (although I would've liked a glossary to fill in the words I never did figure out from context.) I did think the characters were well developed and the story, once it got moving, moved along. The action sequences worked well and the chemistry between the characters was there. Great cover.

As it is part of series, I wondered if perhaps I needed to have read the first one to understand this one, but I just read the back cover blurb online and it's about a totally different person. And the third one is about someone else too.

I don't know what to say. Read it if it's your kind of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Scholar-Book-Two-Fall-ebook/dp/B00DTNYO6Q/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388090594&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=may+nichole+abbey

A leap through time. A choice to make. A destiny to change.

Dismissed by her professors, ridiculed by her classmates, Serena Metcalfe is determined to prove the existence of the Samu Aqaru, the powerful stone of the ancient pharaohs – even if it means travelling through time. But her study of Egyptology did not prepare her for the dangers and passions of the real Egypt of 2361 BC. Crocodile attacks, kidnapping, betrayal, murder…and a pharaoh who believes she is a goddess and wants her as his queen. But Serena isn’t about to give herself to a king – not when finding the precious Stone could mean saving the man she loves.

Irresistible playboy Shepseskaf , fated for an early death, and his loyal yet ruthless cousin Pepisenkaura were once the closest of friends, but the right to the throne of Egypt and their rivalry for Serena threaten to transform them into bitter and eternal enemies. Only Serena knows the tragic destiny that awaits, and only Serena can rewrite history… by following her heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment