Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Saving Mr. Banks

A very interesting tale of how Mary Poppins became a movie. As it's based on a book telling the story from Mrs. Travers point of view I'd hope it was fairly accurate. Although I did hear rumors that in real life, Mrs. Travers wasn't pleased with the end result. The film skips over this point as I expected. When you have a Disney movie telling about Disney, it's going to show him in the best light possible.

The way the story is told is really imaginative. There is so much that went into the creation of Mary Poppins from Mrs. Travers childhood experiences and so much cleverness from the Disney side.

If I had to pick, I'd say Emma Thompson's performance is more deserving of an award than Tom Hanks though both turn in superb performances.

There are great side characters too. Paul Giamatti as the driver for one. The actors playing the Sherman brothers and screen writer, the secretaries are a lovely addition.

It is PG-13 which I found confusing before seeing it. And still a little after. There isn't any violence, or sex, or language. So, why? The father is an alcoholic, but isn't abusive and the mother has some issues too. Younger children might be confused or not understand, which is why I think it got the rating.

Worth a view? Yes.

Worth a buy? Not for me, despite being a Disney fan.

I wonder though if we all have a Mr. Banks in our past.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment