Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wuthering Heights

I've never been a Bronte fan. I've read Jane Eyre and seen the film (although not the most recent one) and I just don't get the style of writing.

Many long years ago I scraped through the first 10 pages of this book and then shut it forever.

So, when I finally finished Season 3 of Downton Abbey *sob* there was a 1998 copy of Masterpiece Theater's film version of Wuthering Heights inside the case. I grit my teeth and sat down to watch it, while I folded laundry of course. I hoped by watching this classic I might gain some interest or insight to the Brontes but it wasn't to be.

It was painful. I couldn't get myself to care about any of the selfish characters in the story and didn't shed a tear when anyone died. What does Cathy see in Heathcliff? So don't get it.

I don't know if any of the other versions are any better, but since the story won't change, I doubt my opinion would.

The best thing about this film was Matthew Macfadyen, except he's only in it for about 10 minutes max.

Worth a view? No.


My apologies to you lovers of Bronte and their books. I don't think I'll ever be a fan.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I read the book when I was 14 and hated it. Loved Jane Eyre though. But WH was a waste of time, and I've never been tempted to read it again or watch any of its film adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it recently just so I could feel culturally literate, and I just really thought it was awful. Didn't like Jane Eyre either, frankly. I just kind of wanted to slap everyone upside the head. In both books. So I'm very with you. (I should also note that my least favorite romance of all time is Romeo and Juliet.)

    ReplyDelete