Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Hobbit Part 2

Epic is what Peter Jackson is after in his cinematic presentation of The Hobbit and he's doing a bang up job of taking a short and simple book and making it a 9 hour film event. I don't think it even takes 9 hours to read the book.

As he did in Lord of the Rings, he's taking some cinematic liberties with the literature and adding in some story lines to tie it more in to LOTR. Will the die hard Tolkien fans be outraged? Of course. Do the rest of us mind? No, not really. I don't mind he's now added elves into the mix.

I did miss the songs though. I liked the singing dwarfs in the first film. This one is so cheerless. It definitely could've used a song or two. This is a darker film.

First rate on all the usual stuff: acting, CG, location, etc.

We're Tolkien fans in this house. I'll be seeing the third one. I'm very curious how the potential romantic relationship between a dwarf and an elf play out.

Worth a view? Yes!

Worth a buy? Yes!

Do you agree with Jackson changing the story?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this. I saw this movie for the first time about two weeks ago, and thought, Wow! I guess I'd better read The Hobbit again. I don't remember any of this. I do like learning some of Legolas' background and yes, that is an interesting love triangle, even if it isn't totally Tolkien.

    ReplyDelete