Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Holes

If the back cover of the film is correct, this is Shia's first film (after he'd already won an award for his tv show).

When my son received this over the holidays, he looked at the cover, read the title, then asked me, "Is this movie all about digging holes?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Sounds boring," he remarked.

I laughed. "Yes, it does. But, give it a try. I think you'll like it."

He did. He's watched it twice now and has asked for a third viewing. Turns out digging holes is entertaining after all.

This is another book my daughter and I read together. The movie is the same as the book. I don't think they changed anything.

I think the idea for the book is hilarious. Let's make a bunch of juvies dig holes looking for buried treasure in a cursed dried up lake. Sure, you can write a couple hundred pages on that. Go for it!

The film does a great job of running the three parallel storylines together, expertly timing when to switch back and forth.

Really good cast. You'll see several familiar faces here and solid acting. I did feel bad about them having to spend so much time in the desert to film. Must've been hot out there for all those hours.

My husband likes to point out that the only poisonous lizards on earth are Gila Monsters and so this film/book is not accurate in that aspect. I told him to let it go.

Clean film, no language, nudity, etc. Good for the whole family.

Anyone wanna go dig holes now?


No comments:

Post a Comment