Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mother's Day Pick #3

Remember how I gave Family Size by Maria Hoagland a shout out a month or so ago when it first hit book shelves?

Well, here's my review.

I'm not great with head jumping (that means moving from one character's head to another to hear their thoughts) so it took me a couple of chapters to get straight who was who and their corresponding challenge as we move within multiple characters throughout each chapter. But once I got the hang of it, I was hooked on this book.

In fact, I had a little trouble putting it down.

I got very wrapped up in each of their lives and constantly wondered, "What will happen next on her journey?" (Translation: this is good writing!)

It also got me pondering on how judgemental we can be as women/people. We don't know what another person is going through yet we constantly make judgements with a serious deficit of information. This book really digs deep as to what we think daily about ourselves and others in regards to the role of motherhood without coming across as preachy or depressing. That's not easy for a writer and Ms. Hoagland does it well.

Seeing as this is an LDS faith based book, LDS Christians won't have any trouble keeping up. A word of help to those Christians of other faiths. This book involves prayer, religious settings and a personal relationship with God in regards to the characters. Nothing to be afraid of. You'll be just as home here. You may even learn something about the LDS faith you didn't know before, but you won't feel preached at or like anyone's out to convert you.

Families of all faiths deal with fertility and birth control issues along with adoption and children with special needs. This book deals with all of those and gently tugs at your heart strings and mind.

What size should your family be?

Whatever size you, your partner and God work out.

One of the mottoes I live by is: Every parent should know their own limitations, especially when it comes to the number of children they have.

I can relate to all these women even though I haven't been through each of their struggles, but I have watched family and friends go through them.

Remember on Mother's Day, no matter whether your a mother or not, all women come to this earth with all those mothering characteristics that can be used, honed and shared regardless of marital status or mommy status. For me, Mother's Day is a celebration of women. Not just a celebration of mothers.

Read Family Size. It will raise your awareness and change your thinking without you even noticing all while enjoying a wonderful story.

What book changed the way you see motherhood?



1 comment: