Thursday, March 6, 2014

Do Over

This is the first book I've read by Shannon Guymon.

I liked the story and the writing for the most part. I liked the characters. Iris and Trey are so easy to route for and funny. Great voice for both of them.

Two things surprised me.

One, the author switches point of view at the drop of a hat. One sentence I'm in Iris's head and the next sentence I'm in Trey's. This is a big no-no in the world of writing, at least as I've learned it. This is the kind of thing I'm told agents, editors, and publishers turn down manuscripts over and yet, there it is. The thing that really amazes me about this is she's not a first time author. She's published half a dozen or more books. Is this allowed once you're established and no one cares anymore?

Second, I'm more than half way through the book when the author decides to mention temple marriage and indicate the characters are LDS. What? Usually if the characters are of the LDS faith it comes up early in the book. It didn't make sense. There are like 3 mentions of it and then it disappears again. Poof! I didn't assume the characters were LDS just because the book was based in Alpine, UT. And I didn't think the characters or storyline needed any mention of faith or religion at all. It just seemed weird.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read and I stayed up late to finish the book.

There's only one thing I'd have liked included in Do Over. The website or store to buy Iris' boots at! I totally want a pair!

Have you read a book that had a weird element randomly thrown in that didn't seem to fit or serve the story?

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Over-Shannon-Guymon-ebook/dp/B00BHRLRZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1388796782&sr=8-3&keywords=do+over

Who wouldn't be tired of dating after falling for the wrong woman over and over again? Trey has decided to take a much-needed break from the fairer sex, until Iris tumbles into his life. Their romance will either be a disaster waiting to happen or the best fairy tale since Sleeping Beauty. This final installment of the Alpine series will have you giving love another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment