Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Divergent the Film

You should know first that I didn't read the books, so I can't compare the movie to the book. If you're looking for a review that does that, then you should look somewhere else.

That being said, I also didn't know anything about the series except that it's dystopian before I saw the film. At least knowing the genre gave me certain clues as to what I'd be watching.

I liked the film. I hope they make the rest of the trilogy. And, yes, these books are now on my 'to read' list.

This story has plenty of twists and turns and I never really knew where I was going next or where I might be by the end. Would Tris be dead? (Not likely since I know there are two more books). Who would die? Who would live? Would she defy The Society?  Mostly likely. That's usually what heroines do in this genre. Will the Society embrace her? Leave her factionless? Would Four turn out to be a bad guy in disguise?

I thoroughly enjoy movies that constantly raise questions as we flow along. This had great pacing, character motivation, dialogue (I never once cringed) and while it's PG-13 for the violence, the love interest only goes as far as kissing. I don't recall any language.

I was totally good with the casting. Nice to see Kate Winslet play the mean girl for a change. And I'm glad they picked relative unknowns for Tris and Four.

My fave scene was the train once everyone's been 'dosed'.

Frankly,I think being divergent and being able to think outside the 'box' is something the Society should be revering not exterminating. But then, that wouldn't be very exciting, now would it?

So, if you like The Hunger Games, I'd go see this one.

Worth a view? Yes.
Worth a buy? I definitely want to see it again. I'll wait and see if they make all the books into films and buy them as a pack. If not, I'll probably pick it up.

Would you want to be divergent?



No comments:

Post a Comment