Thursday, May 15, 2014

Abandon

Why is that every time I finish one of Ms. Johnson's books I want to throw it against the wall?!

Abandon is the final installment of the Possession trilogy. I anticipated it greatly as both the first two books ended with major cliff hangers. This one, I'm glad to say, didn't end in a cliff hanger, but I still wanted to throw the book against the wall.

Why?

She killed off one of my favorite characters . . . actually several of them.

Granted this is a dystopian trilogy, so we have a controlling government and a resistance movement and just like in all trilogies of this genre, the final book is mostly battle, strategy, and casualties. Do Hunger Games and Matched ring any bells?

So, there you go.

The writing is solid as usual and in keeping with the style and tone she set in the first two books. All that I've come to expect in Ms. Johnson's standard of literature is there.

Things that bugged me. We only hear from the guys and I like it when she trades of and gives us the girl's point of view once in a while. I wanted more Raine and Gunn. Lastly, I didn't want my character to die. I wanted that one to ride off on a hoverboard into the sunset. So, there you go. Not deal breakers by any means.

Worth a read? Absolutely.

In fact, I'd like to read them back to back for a better sense of continuity and character arc.

Just be sure to read the other two books first or you will be totally lost. And pick up her related novellas too, because I absolutely loved those and gaining insight into those characters!

PS You should know there are a few swear words and kisses. I'd stick to 16 and up. No smut or sex.

http://www.amazon.com/Abandon-Possession-Novel-Elana-Johnson-ebook/dp/B009NHQZGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400184059&sr=8-1&keywords=abandon+johnson

The fight for independent thought becomes a matter of life or death in this sizzling and intense conclusion to the young adult dystopianPossession trilogy.

Vi has made her choice between Jag and Zenn, and the resistance may have suffered for it. But with the Thinkers as strong as ever, the rebels still have a job to do. Vi knows better than anyone that there's more at stake than a few broken hearts.

But there is a traitor among them...and the choices he makes could lead to the total destruction of everything Vi has fought for.

Vi, Jag, and Zenn must set their problems aside for the resistance to have any hope of ending the Thinkers' reign. Their success means everything...and their failure means death.





No comments:

Post a Comment