Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blackmoore

If you loved Edenbrooke, then you won't be disappointed by Blackmoore and will love it just as much, perhaps even more.

As a romance writer, I bow in admiration to Julianne Donaldson's mastery of her craft. I don't know what her past history as a writer is, but I know few writers who can knock it out of the park with their first book like she did with Edenbrooke. I was curious if she could do the same with Blackmoore. She totally did.

Blackmoore has a different voice and tone than Edenbrooke. Where Edenbrooke was playful with lurking danger, Blackmoore is more serious and wild. The writing of the book takes on the flavor of it's moor environment: bleak, windswept but undeniably beautiful in it's own way. I'm not doing justice to the writing. I'm not sure I can. I think reading it is your best option to understand the point I'm trying so unsuccessfully to illustrate.

I loved the heroine. Kate wants to flee her family and with serious good reasons. She has locked up her heart to spare another pain. If I was still a nail biter, I'd have chewed them off in the first few chapters. Ms. Donaldson sweeps us into the book and into Kate's heart with seeming little effort. Another mark of a great writer. Plus her descriptions of eyes are incredible. I don't know how she came up with so many ways to describe them. A master class.

My heart ached all the way through the book for Kate and Henry, but I couldn't put it down. I had to know how it would end, which I wouldn't dream of spoiling for you.

Look, if you can't guess from my gushing. I loved it. It easily goes on your 'must read' list for 2013.

What will this brilliant woman write next? And will we have to wait 2 years for the next one? Did you find Blackmoore equal to Edenbrooke?

http://www.amazon.com/Blackmoore-ebook/dp/B00E8IIWDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381092464&sr=1-1&keywords=blackmoore+by+julianne+donaldson

 Kate Worthington knows her heart and she knows she will never to marry. Her plan is to travel to India instead—if only to find peace for her restless spirit and to escape the family she abhors. But Kate’s meddlesome mother has other plans. She makes a bargain with Kate: India, yes, but only after Kate has secured—and rejected—three marriage proposals.

Kate journeys to the stately manor of Blackmoore determined to fulfill her end of the bargain sooner rather than later and enlists the help of her dearest childhood friend, Henry Delafield. But when it comes to matters of love, bargains are meaningless and plans are changeable. There on the wild lands of Blackmoore, Kate must face the truth that has kept her heart captive. Will the proposal she is determined to reject actually be the one thing that will set her heart free?

Set in Northern England in 1820, Blackmoore is a regency romance that tells the story of a young woman struggling to learn how to follow her heart.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your novel, Lisa! Releasing on Valentine's Day is genius. I'll be looking for it in February. Best of luck in all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good! I can't wait to read it and it's definitely on my list. I LOVED her first one, too. : )

    ReplyDelete