Thursday, October 24, 2013

Sovay

Sovay by Celia Rees is a different adventure entirely than Pirates!


Sovay, raised by a father who believes in the equality of all in a time when such an opinion wasn't popular, dons the disguise of a highway man to test the heart of her fiancĂ©e. He fails and that is the first domino that sets the rest tumbling and her flying across England and France for the love of her family.

This book has a strong beginning and I spent most of my time cheering on the various men who cross her path to be the hero/love interest and while many of them temporarily take turns in this role the man who wins her heart is only revealed toward the end, which left me a little disappointed as there was little time to build their 'true love' relationship.

I got a little disenchanted with the time spent in Paris during the Reign of Terror. It helped me understand better what life was like then, but I felt like the story slowed to a limping pace. I think the Reign of Terror killed it.

A good read? Yes. A great read? No. A terrible read? No. A reread? Not for me. I only read books multiple times that I really love. This won't make the list. But, then, neither did Pirates!

Loved the cover though!

Can anyone recommend a great romance book set near 1800?

http://www.amazon.com/Sovay-ebook/dp/B00422LEQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381091585&sr=1-1&keywords=sovay+-+celia+rees

In 1794 England, the beautiful Sovay dons a man's cloak and holds up stagecoaches in broad daylight. Posing as a highway robber began as a lark to test a suitor's devotion. But when she lifts the wallet of one of England's most dangerous men, Sovay begins to unravel a web of deceit and duplicity. Acclaimed author Celia Rees' talent for romance and intrigue are sure to thrill a paperback audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment