Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Monuments Men

This is based on a true story. It took a little bit of courage for me to watch it. I gave up watching war movies nearly fifteen years ago. I just can't handle the emotional impact. I had grandfathers serve in WWII. Both of them lived with all limbs intact. But, I get torn up thinking of all those who died, families torn apart, loved ones never reunited, etc.

This one looked like mostly art but little war coverage. I'm grateful I was right. So if you're a lightweight, like me, when it comes to war films, you'll be okay.

It's an amazing cast used to tell the story of how about 6 men, mostly various types of art curators, prepared for war only by boot camp, make it their mission to recapture all the art stolen by the Nazis as they ravished Europe. The odds are against them and sadly not all of the men survive. But what they accomplish in preserving the culture of the human family is astonishing.

This movie, well set in Europe, is really held together by the cast. The men don't disappoint and hold their standard deliveries high. The one token female role is fulfilled by Cate Blanchett, who nearly steals the show.

Film is PG-13 for violence and language. Can't be surprised by that in a war film. But neither is excessive. I think there were half a dozen words I wouldn't use to be found in the script.

Worth a view? Yes.

Worth a buy? Only if you're a big war buff. I suggest Redbox or another inexpensive option. But of course, not pirated.




No comments:

Post a Comment