Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

A reliable source told me this film was as good as the first.

And she was right!

This film has everything the first one does. Which is great for fans both new and old. What I love most about the reintroduction of the Star Trek franchise to another generation of fans is that there is something here for everyone (over the age of 13 that is)!

I give big thumbs up to the writers. They have to appease both die hard Trekkers and introduce it to people who have never watched a Star Trek episode or film of any era. Not an easy task. Yet they consistently write to appeal to both and include humor and heart tugging moments too! There's throw back stuff for the trivia fans that the newbies don't have to know (like Tribbles) to get and lots of action, character development and a substantial believable plot line. So, my Oscar nomination goes to the writers. Oh, and the special effects people.

This time we follow Kirk as he weaves his way through the Federation red tape to save friends, crew members and life as they know it. You know, the usual Star Trek stuff. I love all the actors they cast as these characters. Poor Kirk gets beat up a lot. I hope Chris Pine gets a free massage after every fight sequence take. He deserves it! Quinto will need one too.

I'm looking forward to the third film. Not that they've promised us one. But based on the money making machine it is. I'd say there's a good chance. Oh and you don't need to stay to the end of the credits. There's nothing there.

Bottom line: Don't miss this movie! Be prepared to buy it! This is my favorite summer blockbuster so far (yes more than Iron Man 3 - don't hate me for that).

Unless of course, you aren't a SciFi Action film kind of person. You are then excused.

It's still early in summer so something else could throw it over. We'll see.

What summer movie have you liked most so far? Which one are you most excited to see next?





14 comments:

  1. As a die hard Trekkie, I really loved this movie! Now I want to see it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How Die hard? Like been to a convention die hard?

      Delete
  2. There is going to be a third one, btw. It's supposed to come out in 2016. I also loved this newest installment - I've already seen it twice. :-) There are so many cool things to piece together if you're familiar with the original story lines from the sixties and eighties. And if you didn't know anything about star trek before, I'm sure it's still a cool movie. So, yeah, definitely something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, you made my day! 2016. That's a long time but worth the wait!

      Delete
  3. i don't know if I am looking forward to it the most.... but I am looking forward to it... (assuming we can find the funds to go see it.)... Monsters University. It looks really good, and I love Pixar. I also want to see Iron Man 3, This Star Trek... and Planes, that comes out in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all your summer picks. I liked IM 3 but it won't be my fave of that trilogy. Guess we'll have to go to the movies this summer.

      Delete
  4. I'm dying to see that! I just need someone to watch my kids :) I was really worried that you were going to say it wasn't as good as the first. But no *phew*. I WILL see Ender's game opening day :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a sci-fi or Star Trek obsessed fan - but I really enjoyed this movie and the one just before it. The character stories and development were what pulled me in. The Sci-Fi elements were okay, but like I said, what made the movies really interesting for me was getting to know the characters and watching them grow, their motivations, etc. So even if Star Trek isn't your normal thing, I'd recommend getting the first movie on Red Box and trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't consider myself a "die-hard" trekkie, but I am definitely a BIG FAN. Jeff and I loved all the little insider jokes and references they sprinkle around this new series. Like the infamous red shirts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, we are looking forward to:
    - Despicable Me 2--can't wait!!
    - Enders Game (for older kids)*have to read book first!
    - The Internship (for grown ups)
    - Last Vegas (we are split on this one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are excited for DM2. I read the first 3 or 4 of the Ender series. It's like 9 books long and I lost steam. Maybe I'll finish them one day.
      The Internship will be a fun RedBox.
      Last Vegas? haven't heard anything about that one yet. I'll have to look up the trailer.

      Delete